GamesCom 2013: Did Microsoft Win The Conference Showdown?

Show Topics In:
Posted 10:43pm on Tue 20 August 2013
VG_Staff
GamesCom 2013: Did Microsoft Win The Conference Showdown?
Sony and Microsoft had their conferences today, and they were as different as they were the same.

Read the full article
Posted 10:43pm on Tue 20 August 2013
Karlius
In response to Topic
Sony and Microsoft had their conferences today, and they were as different as they were the same.

Read the full article

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
My view as always is controversial and will probably cause reaction from people who didn't actually follow either Gamescom conference. So here goes.

Today Sony's next gen console was brutally knocked off it's ivory diamond encrusted pedestal. It was found out on far too many levels for comfort and was found wanting.

The conference lasted for around an Hour and a Half and I got more out of the several tweets from Larry Hryb over the twenty minute Microsoft press event than the whole Sony conference. The stand out feature of the Sony Conference was certainly the PS4 streaming to PS Vita. That looks very interesting.

So far the PS4 hasn't had to do anything to sell consoles. MS fluffed their original reveal by talking sports and TV. This angered gamers.

Come E3 the digital rights saga, Kinect gate and a seemingly hefty price tag meant all Sony had to do was turn up. They got the luxury of going second at E3 and watch MS's plans bomb. This resulted in what was quite clearly a reverse in policy. This was proven once again today with the inclusion of Playroom on the console. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the price point was altered last minute by excluding the camera. Thus effectively making the new controllers light feature redundant. This software is now no more than bloatware for most users who will never buy the camera. I'm also sure they backtracked on DRM following flakey responses after E3.

Why is that an issue? Well today Sony took a pop at MS for backtracking stating that they have been changing their console along the way and that makes it less of a commodity. However at least the changes MS made were done over a period of time after gauging consumer reaction. I disagree with all of the changes none the less. Sony's alterations were done on a wing and a prayer to the detriment of their whole ethos. They were even able to sneak in the cost of playing online with no more than a blink of an eye. The amount of times I have heard PS Fan boys rant on about never paying for online is unreal yet all that faded away in an instant. Fickle and but both definitely guilty of change.

The fact is however MS has done this to themselves. They should of gained consumer opinion way before this point. Either that or communicated the new model in a better way. They failed and Sony lapped it up.

Today however MS struck back, the inclusion of FIFA softens the financial excess and even makes the console possibly seam like better value for money for some. Even those who don't want FIFA can sell the code on once the run of included codes has ceased, Microsoft also reiterated the XB1 certainly has the better launch line up and Sony did nothing to change that opinion today.

MS showed off two new IP's today one of which is a AAA title. The lack of quality games was more evident at the Sony conference and while I'm all for Indies the emphasis on this sector was far too strong. A montage of the games would of sufficed however they droned on for what seemed like an age. The whole show seemed to be a slow paced and monotonous. MS also showcased their new process and support for Indies that's all I or anybody else needed to know about it.

So in summary MS struck back with less is more strategy bold statements and bold tactics. Maybe however too little too late because the damage has already been done and they can't blame anyone but themselves or "Blame Don".

Sony 2 - 1 Microsoft
Posted 12:25am on Wed 21 August 2013
GloryBoyTom
In response to Topic

Read the full article

I didn't see the xbox conference but if its anything like E3 then maybe we should take it with a pinch of salt.
Posted 12:42am on Wed 21 August 2013
Lemondish
In response to Karlius's
My view as always is controversial and will probably cause reaction from people who didn't actually follow either Gamescom conference. So here goes.

Today Sony's next gen console was brutally knocked off it's ivory diamond encrusted pedestal. It was found out on far too many levels for comfort and was found wanting.

The conference lasted for around an Hour and a Half and I got more out of the several tweets from Larry Hryb over the twenty minute Microsoft press event than the whole Sony conference. The stand out feature of the Sony Conference was certainly the PS4 streaming to PS Vita. That looks very interesting.

So far the PS4 hasn't had to do anything to sell consoles. MS fluffed their original reveal by talking sports and TV. This angered gamers.

Come E3 the digital rights saga, Kinect gate and a seemingly hefty price tag meant all Sony had to do was turn up. They got the luxury of going second at E3 and watch MS's plans bomb. This resulted in what was quite clearly a reverse in policy. This was proven once again today with the inclusion of Playroom on the console. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the price point was altered last minute by excluding the camera. Thus effectively making the new controllers light feature redundant. This software is now no more than bloatware for most users who will never buy the camera. I'm also sure they backtracked on DRM following flakey responses after E3.

Why is that an issue? Well today Sony took a pop at MS for backtracking stating that they have been changing their console along the way and that makes it less of a commodity. However at least the changes MS made were done over a period of time after gauging consumer reaction. I disagree with all of the changes none the less. Sony's alterations were done on a wing and a prayer to the detriment of their whole ethos. They were even able to sneak in the cost of playing online with no more than a blink of an eye. The amount of times I have heard PS Fan boys rant on about never paying for online is unreal yet all that faded away in an instant. Fickle and but both definitely guilty of change.

The fact is however MS has done this to themselves. They should of gained consumer opinion way before this point. Either that or communicated the new model in a better way. They failed and Sony lapped it up.

Today however MS struck back, the inclusion of FIFA softens the financial excess and even makes the console possibly seam like better value for money for some. Even those who don't want FIFA can sell the code on once the run of included codes has ceased, Microsoft also reiterated the XB1 certainly has the better launch line up and Sony did nothing to change that opinion today.

MS showed off two new IP's today one of which is a AAA title. The lack of quality games was more evident at the Sony conference and while I'm all for Indies the emphasis on this sector was far too strong. A montage of the games would of sufficed however they droned on for what seemed like an age. The whole show seemed to be a slow paced and monotonous. MS also showcased their new process and support for Indies that's all I or anybody else needed to know about it.

So in summary MS struck back with less is more strategy bold statements and bold tactics. Maybe however too little too late because the damage has already been done and they can't blame anyone but themselves or "Blame Don".

Sony 2 - 1 Microsoft

» Go to Karlius's original post
Where can I watch the Microsoft conference? You seem to have an awful lot of good things to say about it. I only got a chance to watch the Sony one and I'm pretty impressed, but I don't see the Microsoft one posted anywhere. Did they even stream it, or are we just supposed to take your word for it?

Less is never more. Don't ever let anybody convince you of that. More games with more information is always way better when it comes to a media briefing.
Posted 6:15am on Wed 21 August 2013
Brulath
In response to Topic

Read the full article

Oddly I think Andrew House's voice is a positive - he's memorable for it and it's different enough to jolt your attention when changing from a more generic speaker to him, though it would be tiresome in excess.
Posted 6:34am on Wed 21 August 2013
KuRupT1
In response to Karlius's

Sony 2 - 1 Microsoft

Didn't watch the Microsoft conference, but did they talk about their xbox360. That's a reason the Sony conference was so long, they had to talk about ps3 and vita also.
Posted 8:12am on Wed 21 August 2013
FantasyMeister
In response to Topic

Read the full article

I don't think I've ever seen Mark Cerny speak at a conference before, he should do more of them, I thought he was a brilliant orator.
Posted 9:08am on Wed 21 August 2013
pblive
In response to Karlius's

Sony 2 - 1 Microsoft

I think you're right on most counts, though we've got no direct comparison via live feeds to work with. Certainly the content was far more on track from MS this time.

I still don't think that Sony altered the in-pack camera at the last minute. Having shown the box, package and price this would mean a huge change to their physical presentation or that they actually had 2 SKUs lined up, one with the PS Eye 2 in the box and just dropped the second.

The main issue with changing tactics, though, was that MS firmly set their plans in place in front of a crowd before altering them. My own opinion is that I don't see this as a bad thing considering they are just listening to the public and giving them what they want at the end of the day.

These conferences haven't made me feel any different about either console, though. I'm still really looking forward to both of them and now glad I can play both Driveclub and Fifa 14 without spending any extra money.
Posted 9:10am on Wed 21 August 2013
pblive
In response to FantasyMeister's
I don't think I've ever seen Mark Cerny speak at a conference before, he should do more of them, I thought he was a brilliant orator.

» Go to FantasyMeister's original post
I called it in the live chat, but now every time I see Mark Cerny I just hear Garth from Wayne's World.

Seperated at birth?
Posted 9:15am on Wed 21 August 2013
FantasyMeister
In response to pblive's
I called it in the live chat, but now every time I see Mark Cerny I just hear Garth from Wayne's World.

Seperated at birth?

» Go to pblive's original post
I hear the narrator from A.I. Smile
Show Topics In:
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
View Full Site