Honourable Mention 2012: Battlefield 3

Show Topics In:
Posted 1:16pm on Fri 28 December 2012
VG_Staff
Honourable Mention 2012: Battlefield 3
Dave couldn't think of a game that was actually released this year.

Read Article
Posted 1:16pm on Fri 28 December 2012
altaranga
In response to Topic

Read Article

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
I just have one word that seems to be absent from the little essay:

Servers.
Posted 2:11pm on Fri 28 December 2012
MJTH
In response to Topic

Read Article

Looks like Dave flip-flopped on the whole of 2012 and has decided to choose a safe-ish bet from last year. It's the "expansion pack" DLC has changed BF3 this year from what it was last year, but I think you can think of something better then this for an honourable mention of 2012, Dave...
Posted 2:57pm on Fri 28 December 2012
Mintyrebel
In response to Topic

Read Article

Oh dear Dave... At least he didn't pick Monopoly....
Posted 3:56pm on Fri 28 December 2012
dudester
In response to Topic

Read Article

it's ok dave's article changes daily tomorrow it won't be battlefield Grin
Posted 6:58pm on Fri 28 December 2012
p0rtalthinker
In response to Topic

Read Article

Hahaha oh Scammell
Posted 7:16pm on Fri 28 December 2012
atheistium
In response to Topic

Read Article

Don't understand the comments... urmm...

Following taken from above;

"This might be because the game in question wasn't released in 2012 or simply because only one person felt the game was worthy of consideration. This is our chance to give these games some time in the limelight."

"I know what you're thinking: 'Dave, you wally, Battlefield 3 wasn't released this year'. But before you start to assume that I've finally lost my marbles, let's take a look at the wider picture."
Posted 7:29pm on Fri 28 December 2012
FantasyMeister
In response to Topic

Read Article

Scammell is correct, games are becoming services that defy annual boundaries. Another example would have been Borderlands, released in 2009 but didn't really reveal its true nature until the DLC arrived in 2010.

Then you've got titles like Forza 4, released in 2011 but we're still playing it.

The whole FIFA series could, if EA wished, just be released as one game with yearly expansions/updates, a continuous service with consistent leaderboards, but I think they're quite happy making people fork out £44.99 each year instead and carry on turning off the older servers once a game has been out 2 years.

Battlefield 3 might turn out to be a different beast, I haven't played it but it seems like too big a juggernaut to simply let die if it's replaced by Battlefield 4.

I'm sure some gamers feel that it's unfair that they can't nominate World of Warcraft each and every year, it's the perfect example of gaming as a service. I think Project Titan might turn out to be a better example, time will tell.
Posted 10:29pm on Fri 28 December 2012
altaranga
In response to FantasyMeister's
Scammell is correct, games are becoming services that defy annual boundaries. Another example would have been Borderlands, released in 2009 but didn't really reveal its true nature until the DLC arrived in 2010.

Then you've got titles like Forza 4, released in 2011 but we're still playing it.

The whole FIFA series could, if EA wished, just be released as one game with yearly expansions/updates, a continuous service with consistent leaderboards, but I think they're quite happy making people fork out £44.99 each year instead and carry on turning off the older servers once a game has been out 2 years.

Battlefield 3 might turn out to be a different beast, I haven't played it but it seems like too big a juggernaut to simply let die if it's replaced by Battlefield 4.

I'm sure some gamers feel that it's unfair that they can't nominate World of Warcraft each and every year, it's the perfect example of gaming as a service. I think Project Titan might turn out to be a better example, time will tell.

» Go to FantasyMeister's original post
Scammel is incorrect if he thinks that the BF3 server issues are an example of a good service, though. Should have read "let's take a look at the wider picture whilst ignoring the bits I don't really want to talk about."

And when I read Close Quarters was his favourite I assumed the article was a joke. Perhaps it actually is. Time will tell.
Posted 10:43pm on Fri 28 December 2012
DancingRhino
    In response to Topic

Read Article

I'm with minty on the whole here. No mention of FTL anywhere. Go F yourselves everyone
    Show Topics In:
    Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
    View Full Site