PES 2009 Review

Show Topics In:
Posted 6:25pm on Thu 26 March 2009
VG_Staff
PES 2009 Review
Quote:
It's not better than FIFA 09 next-gen, and it'll take a bit of getting used to, but with time and effort you'll find it the most rewarding virtual game of football around.

Read Article
Posted 6:25pm on Thu 26 March 2009
zzyzx
In response to Topic
Quote:
It's not better than FIFA 09 next-gen, and it'll take a bit of getting used to, but with time and effort you'll find it the most rewarding virtual game of football around.

Read Article

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
The reviewer is incorrect about January transfers. As explained in the game's manual, Konami has made a roster update available for PES 2009 on Wii. In fact, the first thing that happens when you play "wifi" mode for the first time is that the game prompts you to download the most recent roster update. Either the reviewer did not test the game's online modes or Konami hasn't made the update public in all countries.

I live in the states, and it was available upon release (March 17). I'm sure Konami will make it available in other areas as the game "officially" releases.

I have no quarrel with the rest of the review. Personally, I'd rate the game 9-6-6, with an overall score in mid-upper 8 range - but this review seems fair. It's just a shame about the misinformation.
Posted 11:03am on Fri 27 March 2009
mea03wjb
In response to Topic
Quote:

Read Article

"Master League rears it's ugly head" ??

An opportunity to build a team from scratch, recruit players and develop a team full of your favourite players? Probably the most popular aspect of Pro Evo titles since its creation way back when.

It seems some people have forgotten why true football fans forget FIFA years ago and moved to Pro Evo - for the playability, depth, tactics and most importantly fun that only these titles could supply.

If you want to score goals from 50 yards, buy FIFA, if you want to beat players with 'tricks' rarely if ever used in reality, buy FIFA, if you like pretty pictures of footballers faces rather than in-depth gameplay, buy FIFA - if you want a real football title buy Pro Evo.
Posted 11:10am on Fri 27 March 2009
wyp100
In response to Topic
Quote:

Read Article

@ zzyzx

Thanks for the heads-up - there was no update available at the time of testing. Review updated.
Posted 11:25am on Fri 27 March 2009
CheekyLee
In response to Topic
Quote:

Read Article

Kudos for updating the review. Far too few sites take this position, and videogamer.com is all the better for actually listening to and involving the community. However :

Quote:
Pointing at a player and pressing B passes - a simple control but its importance can't be understated.

Surely that should read 'overstated'?
Posted 11:36am on Fri 27 March 2009
Rickitis
In response to Topic
Quote:

Read Article

The 2008 version was £7.99 on Gameplay.co.uk the other day, since this sounds so similar it might be worth a look, although I think the price has gone up since...
Posted 3:09pm on Fri 27 March 2009
zzyzx
In response to wyp100's
@ zzyzx

Thanks for the heads-up - there was no update available at the time of testing. Review updated.

» Go to wyp100's original post
You're welcome, wyp. Thanks for the response.

Looking back at my comment, it reads unnecessarily combative. I apologize if it came across that way. I'm quite sure we've never met - I really wasn't trying to be hostile toward you.

Cheers,
z

edit: If we want to blame anyone, it should probably be Konami. On one of IGN's recent podcasts, a nintendo editor said that trying to get pre-release details on PES2009 from Konami was like beating one's head against a brick wall. Konami just refused to give them anything.

Which makes *no* sense because (1) IGN liked the first PES for Wii, and (2) that website is basically free advertising, anyway. Why would you refuse it? But I digress...

You can count on one hand the number of developers that invest enough time to give multi-platform owners a reason to look at the Wii version of a game. By that measure, Konami deserves some credit (even if they don't seem concerned with marketing the product or managing the game's reception).
Posted 4:42pm on Fri 27 March 2009
CheekyLee
In response to Topic
Quote:

Read Article

Konami are notoriously difficult to deal with. When Xleague was running their TV tournaments, they were not allowed to televise PES. Which basically meant they couldn't run leagues, which in turn meant that anybody interested in competing would instead have to play, and therefore buy, FIFA instead. I never understood this reluctance to have what is essentially free advertising.

With FIFA beating PES in terms of sales every release, you would think Konami would try a little harder.
Posted 9:01pm on Fri 27 March 2009
charles
In response to Topic
Quote:

Read Article

can i download this for free?
Show Topics In:
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.