Pixelated: Xbox One's 720p problem is the biggest deal-breaker yet

Show Topics In:
Posted 8:21am on Sat 2 November 2013
Njeezy
In response to Topic
Dave isn't happy with next-gen's latest developments. As an Xbox player, could the dream finally be over?

Read the full article

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
I know you keep saying (very eloquently) that Microsoft lost you as a customer due to their many policies that you disagreed with. But from the comments you keep relentlessly posting I'm starting to think that you were never interested in the Xbox One to begin with.

Just a thought.
Posted 2:33pm on Sat 2 November 2013
pblive
In response to Topic
Dave isn't happy with next-gen's latest developments. As an Xbox player, could the dream finally be over?

Read the full article

My chin has developed rather an itch.

Anyway. I think the live stream event pretty much proves that there is nothing for potential Xbox One fans to be worried about.

I'm hoping I can borrow a copy of the game on Xbox One to see the difference for myself, as I'll be trading my PS3 copy for a PS4 one on 29th, but I doubt the final retail version will show much difference between the two to the untrained eye (ie mine)
Posted 2:58pm on Sat 2 November 2013
BenRawR
In response to Topic

Read the full article

I think there's an issue everybody's overlooking.
The fact that CoD is running at 720p on Xbone (I'm not a PS4 fanboy, this unfortunate name has stuck) and 1080p on PS4.
"Overlooking?!?" I hear you say? Yes.

Resolutions are taken from left over power. They DO NOT come from a separate part of each console as a little non-power-consuming 1080p on/off switch.
The fact is that each console is capable of producing a game with 4K visuals, however that game would have to be 10 minutes long with very little mechanics.
Ghosts could be polished to 1080p on the Xbone but that would mean SACRIFICES to other parts of the game would've come into play. If you think about both copies releasing at 60fps 1080p, then all hell would've broken loose a few days after release date when people noticed that the PS4 would unmentionably have extra gameplay thrown in because it could handle it without compromise.
Games are designed > characters are designed > stories are written > levels are designed > mechanics are implemented > etc. etc. etc... > > > > > > > > Time to sharpen up the visuals and quality with the last remaining power. Oh... There's none left. There's no way we're cutting out some gameplay, guess we'd better compromise on visuals - it looks "alright" as it is.
^ And there's your CoD Xbone development diary.

The resolutions don't matter, the game will play through the same way at a smooth 60fps on each system. BUT, here's (my entire point) the issue that may be prevalent in this generation...
If games are maxed in a sense of scale and mechanics with a steady framerate on PS4 and have to be tweaked extensively on Xbone to match it and/or it simply can't cope running the same version... What would anybody see in paying more for a console that can't compete with it's rival?
Posted 1:10pm on Thu 21 November 2013
justerthought
In response to Topic

Read the full article

I think all your comments are the result of finally accepting the fact that MS have hijacked the xbox brand to launch a TV box on the masses because they lacked faith in gamers as a source of income. Sony know gamers never go away and have focussed all their hardware on game performance.

To sum up, XB1 is a 'multimedia console' that also does games, PS4 is a 'games console' to the best of its ability.

You sound like a gamer to me so you have no choice but to jump ship because things are going to get worse. When all the open world games roll in, the XB1 is going to suffer a crushing blow because its GPU does not have access to fast GDDR5 RAM to stream all the high res assets in real time as you move around. Cloud processing is too slow due to ISP latency and the ESRAM is too small to help because it can only run 32MB of data at high speed at any given time.

I know I've resorted to nerdy tech terms there, but you have to realise the importance of GDDR5 RAM. Even if you ignore the more powerful GPU inside PS4, there is a reason why all gaming PC's have at least 2GB of GDDR5 RAM tagged to the GPU. XB1 has zero GDDR5 RAM.

Yes I'm a PS fan but this is info you really need to know.
Posted 1:37pm on Thu 21 November 2013
justerthought
In response to BenRawR's
I think there's an issue everybody's overlooking.
The fact that CoD is running at 720p on Xbone (I'm not a PS4 fanboy, this unfortunate name has stuck) and 1080p on PS4.
"Overlooking?!?" I hear you say? Yes.

Resolutions are taken from left over power. They DO NOT come from a separate part of each console as a little non-power-consuming 1080p on/off switch.
The fact is that each console is capable of producing a game with 4K visuals, however that game would have to be 10 minutes long with very little mechanics.
Ghosts could be polished to 1080p on the Xbone but that would mean SACRIFICES to other parts of the game would've come into play. If you think about both copies releasing at 60fps 1080p, then all hell would've broken loose a few days after release date when people noticed that the PS4 would unmentionably have extra gameplay thrown in because it could handle it without compromise.
Games are designed > characters are designed > stories are written > levels are designed > mechanics are implemented > etc. etc. etc... > > > > > > > > Time to sharpen up the visuals and quality with the last remaining power. Oh... There's none left. There's no way we're cutting out some gameplay, guess we'd better compromise on visuals - it looks "alright" as it is.
^ And there's your CoD Xbone development diary.

The resolutions don't matter, the game will play through the same way at a smooth 60fps on each system. BUT, here's (my entire point) the issue that may be prevalent in this generation...
If games are maxed in a sense of scale and mechanics with a steady framerate on PS4 and have to be tweaked extensively on Xbone to match it and/or it simply can't cope running the same version... What would anybody see in paying more for a console that can't compete with it's rival?

» Go to BenRawR's original post
Are you happy with that state of affairs? You sound like you are trying to justify living with the problem. The situation stems from a system that is under powered. Computing power affects more than resolution at the end of the game development diary.

Lots of other features will be taking a hit as well in order to preserve the core game. Why suffer when you don't have to. The list of possible side effects will be lower res, screen tear, lower res textures, pixilated shadows, less objects onscreen, more pop-in and reduced physics, like no water refraction or plants that bend as you walk through them or no boketh depth of field blur. Devs will have to decide which ones to delete in order to maintain the core game on XB1, while they will all be running no problem on PS4.

Note about boketh: real world camera lens's do not blur highlights the same as shadows, so out of focus areas have the darker areas blurred smoothly, while highlights and light sources turn into beautiful circular blobs with only a slight blur. The effect takes a lot of processing power to pull off in real time, so it has not been possible until now. But XB1 users not be able to enjoy this next gen feature if it impacts on the core game.
Posted 8:12pm on Mon 25 November 2013
GlobalDominance
In response to Topic

Read the full article

Let's be totally honest. The XB1 isn't a bad entertainment hub, that plays games. Nothing bad about it, it's just more tailored to the original ideas of being all in "one". The PS4 is more geared towards gaming, with being an entertainment hub (apps) secondary. PS4 has more brute strength, so games will look slightly better across multi-platform titles because of meeting certain parity needs. PS4 will gain a more meaningful edge in terms of graphics, once it's 1st party developers start to get a more rounded feel for the system. This doesn't mean the XB1 1st party developers are going to slouch, not at all. However, Sony has been better at producing internal wares compared to MS (but that's my opinion). Anyhow, PS4 is my choice for gaming needs in the future, while XB1 may be the overall entertainment hub for social media.
Posted 2:42am on Sun 1 December 2013
daxius70
In response to Topic

Read the full article

so are you saying the new console hype went from Clash of the Titans to Clash of the Tightasses?
NVidia did say the pc is the ultimate gaming machine. I think what Microsoft / Sony should do is allow people to purchase a PS or Xbox os for PC and allow for scalable performance for their titles.

Dual vid cards 32 gigs of ram and all the hard drive space you need with a six core processor at 3.5 gighrtz like Kramer said...giddy-up

that way people can get the best of both worlds and both Sony and MS would see
increase sales for being able to have your cake and eat it too

the Daxman
Posted 2:50am on Sat 28 December 2013
justerthought
In response to Topic

Read the full article

I really cannot understand why you were so naive and trusting. I guess brand loyalty is a powerful thing. The facts where glaring you in the face. Microsoft's comments did not add up. They were asking you to believe in magic instead of looking at the hard facts. The specs tell it all. Everything predicted by me has turned out to be true.

The next gen developments are perfectly fine from a PS4 perspective, so you're title is tarring both with the same brush. PS4 is a beast. A gamers dream machine. The multimedia sucks right now but software and services can be improved later with upgrades. Lame hardware cannot.

You have to understand PS4 is a 'games console'. XB1 is a 'multimedia console' that also plays games. The emphasis is totally different because the xbox brand has been hijacked to launch a TV box on the masses.

XB1 is a great machine and will get great games, but it won't be the hard core gamers choice because the PS4 takes that crown convincingly. If you play Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4, the power shines through. The game is running 1080p smooth as silk with high res textures, zero screen tear and all the fancy graphics stuff all turned on running simultaneously without even breaking a sweat. Contrast that with the XB1 version running 900p with shimmering distant details the same as current gen, and the PS4 totally stable like a photograph with no shimmering at all.

The reasons (boring technical bit):
(1) The GPU has 50% less cores than PS4 and does not have access to GDDR5 RAM. ESRAM can only hold 32MB at any given time and cannot help fill the DDR3 RAM any faster than its physical limit. Without lots of fast RAM to rapidly load all the scene assets, the GPU cannot render the frames fast enough, so they have to be simplified by lowering the pixel count. Cloud processing cannot help because it is limited by the latency of your ISP.

(2) 3rd party devs create expensive AAA games using a generic code scaleable game engine, then optimise each port with the relevant dev machine. They cannot afford to re-write all the game code just for one machine in order to make use of ESRAM and cloud processing. They will just do what they did with PS3 CELL. A basic lame conversion optimised as best they can within the time limit. The XB1 user base is not large enough to warrant the extra cost of major re-coding. MS do not have 1st party studios like Naughty Dog to do all the expensive research on how to utilise CELL's untapped power and pass the knowledge to the 3rd party devs free of charge. Cloud stuff will just be a few gimmicky additions without alternating the core gameplay. ESRAM usage will improve over time but may never be fully exploited. Even if it was, it is still a poor man's version of GDDR5 RAM and will always be a bottleneck, especially in open world games where stuff has to be streamed to RAM in realtime. That's a big problem because MS failed to realise the future of games is open world. Hence why Bungie had to break away with Destiny.
Show Topics In:
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
View Full Site