Pixelated: Xbox One's 720p problem is the biggest deal-breaker yet

Show Topics In:  
Posted 8:25pm on Fri 1 November 2013
Leathersoup
In response to Topic
Dave isn't happy with next-gen's latest developments. As an Xbox player, could the dream finally be over?

Read the full article

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
Brand loyalty never profits the customer.
Posted 8:34pm on Fri 1 November 2013
FantasyMeister
In response to Leathersoup's
Brand loyalty never profits the customer.

» Go to Leathersoup's original post
I'm not so sure, I'd agree that brand loyalty never profits the majority of consumers, but there are notable exceptions, e.g. anyone who stuck with XBox Live for 10 years straight, anyone who has ever been invited to a Sony Gamer's Day etc.

Anyway, steering back on topic, I don't think XBox One's 720p problem is the biggest deal-breaker yet, simply because graphics don't make games. They help, but they're not the be all and end all.

I'm sure there will be more deal-breakers to come from both Sony and Microsoft for those on the fence, but I think the biggest problem for Microsoft is that they aren't able to launch globally, and asking early adopters to wait until 2014 when the PS4 comes out in 2 weeks' time is probably asking too much of them.
Posted 8:41pm on Fri 1 November 2013
Mintyrebel
In response to Topic
Dave isn't happy with next-gen's latest developments. As an Xbox player, could the dream finally be over?

Read the full article

Matt you own the site now!? Since when?
Posted 6:28am on Sat 2 November 2013
Axio300
In response to Topic

Read the full article

they don't need to learn the hardware this generation because they are virtually the same as pc's you could probably run windows on either of them
Posted 6:42am on Sat 2 November 2013
Axio300
In response to EverTheOptimist's
I've owned a 360 since it's early days and a couple of years ago I bought a second hand PS3 slim. I like both for different reasons, but usually get games for the PS3 due to it being connected via HDMI and looking a little crisper than the component leads on my haggard 360 Premium.

The 360 has a much nicer UI, and I can't state that enough. The PS3's XMB looks like it was designed in 20 minutes. I'm sure some like it, but for me it's messy and ugly. It's an issue to find content on both consoles, but the 360 is definitely the friendliest to use.

I've enjoyed Sony's exclusives much more than Microsoft's in this gen, and two of my favourite games of all time, Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, would never have been played had I not bought a PS3. That's mainly the reason I've gone with the PS4. I'm also not a fan of the 'entertainment centre' approach MS are taking, as I don't have the hours to watch dozens of films and TV shows, hence not having Sky or Virgin media. Games and Netflix are enough for me, but that's preference and nothing more.

I think in a year's time both consoles will be more evenly matched to each other and Xbox games will all be in 1080p. The devs are working with unfamiliar systems and they'll get used to the Xbone. I don't like MS for the way they've misinformed people re: the new console, the way they've changed their policies and generally the way their leaders have conducted themselves, but the Xbone is going to be a great console for many people. If I had a family and wanted an all-in-one media solution I'd probably go for one, but as it stands I'm childless and only interested in playing games.

Regardless of my view, this has so far been such an interesting launch to follow and I think it's going to be fun to follow in the next few weeks to. No matter your opinion, we can probably all agree we've had a good time keeping up with it!

EDIT: And just adding to this, as others may have stated, the vast majority of people purchasing a console don't know or care about the issues and what has gone on. Most people won't be able to see the difference between the games and, if they do, they won't care. We're the small percentage that consider these things possibly important, I think others forget that a mum juggling a job with a couple of kids isn't going to be dissecting frame rates to ensure her children will be satisfied!

» Go to EverTheOptimist's original post
the devs don't need to get used to the hardware this generation as they are just pcs they have no "CELL or Emotion Engine" they are simple AMD processors that the devs have probably worked with before the only thing they have to learn is how to use the XBOX ONE's ES RAM which is useless anyhow
Posted 8:21am on Sat 2 November 2013
Njeezy
In response to Topic

Read the full article

I know you keep saying (very eloquently) that Microsoft lost you as a customer due to their many policies that you disagreed with. But from the comments you keep relentlessly posting I'm starting to think that you were never interested in the Xbox One to begin with.

Just a thought.
Posted 2:33pm on Sat 2 November 2013
pblive
In response to Topic

Read the full article

My chin has developed rather an itch.

Anyway. I think the live stream event pretty much proves that there is nothing for potential Xbox One fans to be worried about.

I'm hoping I can borrow a copy of the game on Xbox One to see the difference for myself, as I'll be trading my PS3 copy for a PS4 one on 29th, but I doubt the final retail version will show much difference between the two to the untrained eye (ie mine)
Posted 2:58pm on Sat 2 November 2013
BenRawR
In response to Topic

Read the full article

I think there's an issue everybody's overlooking.
The fact that CoD is running at 720p on Xbone (I'm not a PS4 fanboy, this unfortunate name has stuck) and 1080p on PS4.
"Overlooking?!?" I hear you say? Yes.

Resolutions are taken from left over power. They DO NOT come from a separate part of each console as a little non-power-consuming 1080p on/off switch.
The fact is that each console is capable of producing a game with 4K visuals, however that game would have to be 10 minutes long with very little mechanics.
Ghosts could be polished to 1080p on the Xbone but that would mean SACRIFICES to other parts of the game would've come into play. If you think about both copies releasing at 60fps 1080p, then all hell would've broken loose a few days after release date when people noticed that the PS4 would unmentionably have extra gameplay thrown in because it could handle it without compromise.
Games are designed > characters are designed > stories are written > levels are designed > mechanics are implemented > etc. etc. etc... > > > > > > > > Time to sharpen up the visuals and quality with the last remaining power. Oh... There's none left. There's no way we're cutting out some gameplay, guess we'd better compromise on visuals - it looks "alright" as it is.
^ And there's your CoD Xbone development diary.

The resolutions don't matter, the game will play through the same way at a smooth 60fps on each system. BUT, here's (my entire point) the issue that may be prevalent in this generation...
If games are maxed in a sense of scale and mechanics with a steady framerate on PS4 and have to be tweaked extensively on Xbone to match it and/or it simply can't cope running the same version... What would anybody see in paying more for a console that can't compete with it's rival?
Posted 1:10pm on Thu 21 November 2013
justerthought
In response to Topic

Read the full article

I think all your comments are the result of finally accepting the fact that MS have hijacked the xbox brand to launch a TV box on the masses because they lacked faith in gamers as a source of income. Sony know gamers never go away and have focussed all their hardware on game performance.

To sum up, XB1 is a 'multimedia console' that also does games, PS4 is a 'games console' to the best of its ability.

You sound like a gamer to me so you have no choice but to jump ship because things are going to get worse. When all the open world games roll in, the XB1 is going to suffer a crushing blow because its GPU does not have access to fast GDDR5 RAM to stream all the high res assets in real time as you move around. Cloud processing is too slow due to ISP latency and the ESRAM is too small to help because it can only run 32MB of data at high speed at any given time.

I know I've resorted to nerdy tech terms there, but you have to realise the importance of GDDR5 RAM. Even if you ignore the more powerful GPU inside PS4, there is a reason why all gaming PC's have at least 2GB of GDDR5 RAM tagged to the GPU. XB1 has zero GDDR5 RAM.

Yes I'm a PS fan but this is info you really need to know.
Posted 1:37pm on Thu 21 November 2013
justerthought
In response to BenRawR's
I think there's an issue everybody's overlooking.
The fact that CoD is running at 720p on Xbone (I'm not a PS4 fanboy, this unfortunate name has stuck) and 1080p on PS4.
"Overlooking?!?" I hear you say? Yes.

Resolutions are taken from left over power. They DO NOT come from a separate part of each console as a little non-power-consuming 1080p on/off switch.
The fact is that each console is capable of producing a game with 4K visuals, however that game would have to be 10 minutes long with very little mechanics.
Ghosts could be polished to 1080p on the Xbone but that would mean SACRIFICES to other parts of the game would've come into play. If you think about both copies releasing at 60fps 1080p, then all hell would've broken loose a few days after release date when people noticed that the PS4 would unmentionably have extra gameplay thrown in because it could handle it without compromise.
Games are designed > characters are designed > stories are written > levels are designed > mechanics are implemented > etc. etc. etc... > > > > > > > > Time to sharpen up the visuals and quality with the last remaining power. Oh... There's none left. There's no way we're cutting out some gameplay, guess we'd better compromise on visuals - it looks "alright" as it is.
^ And there's your CoD Xbone development diary.

The resolutions don't matter, the game will play through the same way at a smooth 60fps on each system. BUT, here's (my entire point) the issue that may be prevalent in this generation...
If games are maxed in a sense of scale and mechanics with a steady framerate on PS4 and have to be tweaked extensively on Xbone to match it and/or it simply can't cope running the same version... What would anybody see in paying more for a console that can't compete with it's rival?

» Go to BenRawR's original post
Are you happy with that state of affairs? You sound like you are trying to justify living with the problem. The situation stems from a system that is under powered. Computing power affects more than resolution at the end of the game development diary.

Lots of other features will be taking a hit as well in order to preserve the core game. Why suffer when you don't have to. The list of possible side effects will be lower res, screen tear, lower res textures, pixilated shadows, less objects onscreen, more pop-in and reduced physics, like no water refraction or plants that bend as you walk through them or no boketh depth of field blur. Devs will have to decide which ones to delete in order to maintain the core game on XB1, while they will all be running no problem on PS4.

Note about boketh: real world camera lens's do not blur highlights the same as shadows, so out of focus areas have the darker areas blurred smoothly, while highlights and light sources turn into beautiful circular blobs with only a slight blur. The effect takes a lot of processing power to pull off in real time, so it has not been possible until now. But XB1 users not be able to enjoy this next gen feature if it impacts on the core game.
Show Topics In:  
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.