Ubisoft wants PS4 and Durango to have a shorter lifespan than PS3 and Xbox 360

Show Topics In:
Posted 10:47am on Fri 22 February 2013
VG_Staff
Ubisoft wants PS4 and Durango to have a shorter lifespan than PS3 and Xbox 360
Seven years has been too long to wait, says CEO Yves Guillemot.

Read News
Posted 10:47am on Fri 22 February 2013
MJTH
In response to Topic

Read News

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
Yeah, that is, no offence to new consoles, probably for the best. The casual market of phone apps, has crept up on the regular games market. Due to the lack of new consoles for the longest period of time, market growth has begun to stagnate. The lack of primary console power, held game development back, and allowed the phone market to get to a period where it's getting the upper hand.

Hopefully once the other next gen consoles come out we can finally kick start the games business again.
Posted 11:16am on Fri 22 February 2013
rbevanx
    In response to Topic

Read News

I think all round I would rather have the consoles last longer as it tends to take them a year and a bit to get to grips with the new tech and power isn't something I look to now that much with a console.
    I look more for function and games on that console.
    Posted 11:54am on Fri 22 February 2013
    Wido
    In response to Topic

Read News

Woah, woah Yves Guillemot. The next generation of consoles isn't fully here yet at all. Sure, Sony have showed us what to expect with the PS4 and told us the spec, but will the PS4 live up to what its been aimed at?

I don't get why he is already wanting a shorter life cycle. I rather have the next generation of consoles to last longer than the current gen. The current gen still has a lot to offer in my opinion.
    Posted 1:33pm on Fri 22 February 2013
    Endless
    In response to Wido's
    Woah, woah Yves Guillemot. The next generation of consoles isn't fully here yet at all. Sure, Sony have showed us what to expect with the PS4 and told us the spec, but will the PS4 live up to what its been aimed at?

I don't get why he is already wanting a shorter life cycle. I rather have the next generation of consoles to last longer than the current gen. The current gen still has a lot to offer in my opinion.

» Go to Wido's original post
    The current generation is hamstringed by hardware restrictions imo, 7 years is an incredibly long time in technology. I am well ready for new hardware. I cant afford it. but I'm ready for it. Chances are I'll stick with PC for quite some time.
    Posted 10:32am on Sun 24 February 2013
    clangod
    In response to Topic

Read News

The solution is something closer to what Valve and Xi3 have lined up with the Piston. As the next generation consoles will essentially be PC hardware, I think modular solutions are definitely the way of the future for consoles.

Physically, the consoles have longevity for the most part so allowing users to upgrade and swap out components would be an ideal solution for dedicated users.

Problems would arise with people not so tech-savy, but I expect it could be simplified to be no more demanding as buying the right toner cartridge for a printer. If you want the best performance, you pay for those components. Not a dedicated gamer? Buy the 'light' or entry level version and upgrade parts once you're hooked.

In tech terms, buying a console is buying obsolete hardware. But so long as there are developers out there pushing the boundaries with the tech, there's no reason a console life span can't amount to several years. 2013 will see some fantastic current gen games particularly PS3 exclusives which has been around for several years.

I mention the modular solution with regard to cost involved for the consumer. For Sony and MS as companies this wouldn't be the most attractive answer because people wouldn't necessarily have to buy an entirely new system each time there was a hardware upgrade or system failure. I'm not sure what Yves expects consumers to do when forced to upgrade every couple of years. We aren't all bathing in expendable income. Nor could we expect that our investment will be supported for a duration. Again, shortening the console life span is buying obsolete hardware. WHERE'S THE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY?

TLDR: I would personally like to see the consoles survive a good few years before we're force fed a new system. The only exception would be a modular console solution. And a significant price drop to boot.

It reads as though Yves is talking purely from a tech development perspective. Which is fine. But can I really expect the technology to advance so quickly that there is any real significant innovations or improvements they can make besides jamming a better GPU or more powerful processor in the box?

So yeah, not convinced.

/rant.
    Posted 11:52am on Sun 24 February 2013
    Neon-Soldier32
    In response to Topic

Read News

If console cycles are going to be shorter then, obviously, people will buy more consoles and thus they will need to launch cheaper to attract interest which means lowered specs resulting in lower differences between generations. No thanks.

I think that this generation has been the perfect length, if not a little too short. I mean, look at all the titles from 2009 - 11, they were brilliant; Uncharted 2/3, Batman AC and so on.
    Posted 8:31am on Mon 25 February 2013
    EverTheOptimist
    In response to Topic

Read News

Surely a shorter cycle is going to be much more expensive for those creating games too? At some point they'll need to invest in new ways of making titles that harness new tech they haven't yet learned. I think 7 years is fine, but if it became shorter they should make consoles recyclable for those that don't keep them - ever-changing technology must be one of the biggest contributors to sky-high waste piles.
    Show Topics In:
    Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
    View Full Site