UK Video Game Chart: Aliens Colonial Marines becomes the biggest new release of 2013

Show Topics In:
Posted 10:59am on Mon 18 February 2013
VG_Staff
UK Video Game Chart: Aliens Colonial Marines becomes the biggest new release of 2013
Second highest launch week for an Aliens game, only bettered by 2010's AVP.

Read News
Posted 10:59am on Mon 18 February 2013
MJTH
In response to Topic

Read News

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
Whilst I do think the marketing did help Aliens rise to the top, I think the fact the review embargo was so late contributed to the games success. Most reviews came out day of release, by which point pre-orders would of already been shipped. Looks bad on gearbox because it looks like they are twisting the way things work to suit them.

Anyway this is another depressing moment for 2013...
Posted 11:02am on Mon 18 February 2013
EverTheOptimist
In response to Topic

Read News

Wow, that is grim. At the end of the day though, people decide this by parting with their cash, even if a review is held back. If you're unsure about the quality of a game, just wait until release day, it won't kill you Smile
Posted 11:45am on Mon 18 February 2013
rbevanx
    In response to Topic

Read News

It will flop anyway as it won't have legs which is needed in these sort of games and the market is already getting fludded with trade in's and copies of the game on eBay.

I think what helped is that it was Aliens and it was heavily focused on the marines aspect, that gameplay demo and the makers of Borderlands making it which now sounds like Timegate made the trainwreck.

Either way they are still making content for the game via a season pass and they could lose money there was well.
    Posted 2:22pm on Mon 18 February 2013
    clangod
    In response to Topic

Read News

Now I'm curious. What is the most successful flop in video game history?

Admittedly, Colonial Marines sales may have come mainly from pre-orders and day one's (even with a street date break) but it means nothing to me when CoD is on the same list. People bought the hype. Just like they always do.

This cannot bode well for Gearbox. As now it could be legitimately claimed that the whole thing was orchestrated to gain whatever revenue they could from a game they knew to be sub par and significantly worse than early previews. A game that has been in development for around 6 years on and off now?

I avoided getting burned on this one but who knows, there may be a playable game in there once the modders are done. I'd buy that for $3.40.
    Posted 3:05pm on Mon 18 February 2013
    EverTheOptimist
    In response to clangod's
    Now I'm curious. What is the most successful flop in video game history?

Admittedly, Colonial Marines sales may have come mainly from pre-orders and day one's (even with a street date break) but it means nothing to me when CoD is on the same list. People bought the hype. Just like they always do.

This cannot bode well for Gearbox. As now it could be legitimately claimed that the whole thing was orchestrated to gain whatever revenue they could from a game they knew to be sub par and significantly worse than early previews. A game that has been in development for around 6 years on and off now?

I avoided getting burned on this one but who knows, there may be a playable game in there once the modders are done. I'd buy that for $3.40.

» Go to clangod's original post
    In terms of hardware does anything come close to the Virtual Boy? Wasn't it pulled after 6 months?
    Posted 4:32pm on Mon 18 February 2013
    DancingRhino
      In response to Topic

Read News

This is why I can't stand people.

And Gizmondo was fairly memorable, as it uber flopped and bankrupted the company. (If that's what is meant by successful flop?)
      Posted 5:12pm on Mon 18 February 2013
      rbevanx
        In response to EverTheOptimist's
        In terms of hardware does anything come close to the Virtual Boy? Wasn't it pulled after 6 months?

» Go to EverTheOptimist's original post
        E.T surely!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

Here is a recreation of what Atari staff possibly felt like doing to E.T

Show Topics In:
        Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
        View Full Site