VideoGamer.com Plays August 1, 2013

Show Topics In:
Posted 7:11pm on Fri 2 August 2013
VG_Staff
VideoGamer.com Plays August 1, 2013
Can you smell it? Games are ready to pick up again.

Read the full article
Posted 7:11pm on Fri 2 August 2013
FantasyMeister
In response to Topic

Read the full article

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
I discovered the joys of Krater on Steam and played nothing but this week. I feel I've only scratched the surface after my first 15 hours and already I'm planning out how to augment skills and upgrade implants for my party members so I can get a neat rotation thing going when they're in the thick of it.

It has phat loot, rare drops, humour, side quests, exploration, linking packs of enemies (not a good thing but ever so satisfying if you survive), decent death penalties (or permadeath if you're playing on Hardcore mode) and the quirkiest party members in existence - imagine controlling a party of 3 bandits from Borderlands 2 and that's pretty close to what you get here.

Krater isn't perfect, a few typos here and there and a couple of encounters that needed a bit of workarounding to get completed, but the gameplay is right up my street and the Swedish charm hits the right spot.
Posted 8:44pm on Fri 2 August 2013
BrySkye
In response to Topic

Read the full article

Nothing new this week, although yesterday I did try out the PC demo for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow on Steam.
I've had the game on Xbox 360 since launch, but never actually played it.
At this point, I just intend to sell the 360 version and pick up the Steam one.

All I can really offer is impressions of the port, which are favourable.
With everything turned on and anisotropic filtering turned up to a ridiculously high 16x, it still seemed to be a steady 60fps.
So it doesn't seem like Mercury did one of those quick and nasty PC conversions we fear (Dark Souls, GTAIV, ahem).

Though as an observation, it's funny how prior to the current generation of consoles, pre-rendered cutscenes were used as a way of offering more impressive graphics than was possible in gameplay.
Yet now, while they can offer more onscreen action or complex lighting, they tend to look more fuzzy than the actual real-time gameplay.
Which is even worse if you play on PC in a resolution higher than 720p.
Just struck me as amusing that the pre-rendered cutscenes in Castlevania looked much worse than the real-time stuff!
Posted 12:41pm on Sat 3 August 2013
MrSmileyFace
In response to Topic

Read the full article

All my time has been sunk into SMITE and SMITE only. God I like SMITE. SMITE SMITE SMITE.

Anyway, I really think that it is a good MOBA. (Better than Dota 2 IMO) but I do think that the physics need a bit of work but thank the video game Lords for Betas!!!!
Posted 2:00pm on Sat 3 August 2013
Clockpunk
In response to Topic

Read the full article

Seeing as how Dead Rising 2 is being given away in a couple of weeks, I had a hankering to replay the first Dead Rising. To mixed feeling. While it is a good game, and was a technical marvel upon its release, the sequels just blow it out of the water completely. The AI is not very evolved, the psychopaths staggeringly difficult, lack of combo weapons, lack of money mechanics, minimal exploration rewards, and even very few standard weapons scattered about the place. In the sports shop, for example, I could see bowling balls lined up on the wall - but it wouldn't let me grab one! So much potential... which was later realised, but alas makes it difficult to really get into DR1.

Plus my old level 46 save file completely disappeared from my HD, forcing me to start from scratch, which probably didn't help matters...

But yes, anyone playing through DR2 for the first time in a couple of weeks, I will be envious - really wish I could experience it afresh as well...
Posted 3:53pm on Sat 3 August 2013
FantasyMeister
In response to Topic

Read the full article

I should mention that I've only put 15 hours into Krater this week as opposed to my usual 80+ hours of gaming is that the rest of the time was spent playing Steam Community Market with trading cards.

I started with just 3 free cards from Torchlight II and built it up into a nice little nest egg of a level 5, a level 4 and two level 1 badges, my free copy of Krater using funds raised and a 90% off coupon from crafting one of the badges along the way, and about £1.50 left over, which has now been invested back into trading cards in the hope they'll sell again.

I guess sometimes gaming isn't just gaming, plenty of peripheral activities revolve around it now as cosplayers, Home addicts, Ultimate Team collectors, cheevo/trophy accumulators and tournament players have known for years.

Forums are a part of that too and have been for a couple of decades, but one wonders how they too could improve and maybe embrace a couple more of these extraneous activities.

Videogamer.com Community Trading Cards, anyone?
Posted 10:51am on Sun 4 August 2013
dav2612
In response to Topic

Read the full article

Since my wife and daughter have gone away to stay with my wife's parents I've had plenty of gaming time.

I started and finished (the story aspect) of Saints Row 3 and found it all rather dull and repetitive. The missions mostly involve killing 40,000 enemies at a variety of locations, it felt like the same thing over and over. There is loads to do in the game but I also found most of the activities rather dull too. Loved the location though but shame I didn't take to it more.

The Last of Us is still getting my attention. I played a fair bit on the online and rather enjoyed it. I've also started a 3rd play through of the single player on hard. I seldom play my story based games a 2nd time, a 3rd time is almost unheard of.

I played the Killzone Mercenary beta on the Vita (ooo that rhymes) and rather impressed with what I have seen.
Posted 2:43pm on Sun 4 August 2013
BC_Animus
In response to Topic

Read the full article

Just played and finished Singularity on the PS3 on my end - amazing game with interesting story and mechanics. It's a shame that this game wasn't publicised when it was first released.

On the PC end I've been playing a few games of War of The Roses - surprisingly fun multi-player online game. Kinda like CoD, but with swords and arrows.

Also been playing Fairie Solitaire on the PC this week - got it after getting a 90% off coupon on Steam. Surprisingly addictive. Think I've spent something like 15 hours on it already.

Lastly played a few games of [i]DOTA 2[i] too - not against people mind you, been playing the tutorial vs bots. Not surprisingly I kinda suck at this, so when I finally get round to playing against humans I'm sure I'd end up quitting after the 2nd match.
Posted 10:19am on Mon 5 August 2013
pblive
In response to Topic

Read the full article

Not been around much to play on consoles or PC. I did look to get a laptop for my travels, but couldn't get enough together (while saving for next gen consoles). So the last week has been handhelds, mostly Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter and Mario & Donkey Kong from the 3DS E-store, plus iOS and Android games.

I need to see what Steam games my old Atom based Netbook can play, but probably not too many.
Show Topics In:
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
View Full Site