VideoGamer.com Plays March 11, 2012

Show Topics In:
Posted 10:00am on Sun 11 March 2012
VG_Staff
VideoGamer.com Plays March 11, 2012
This week the team plays SSX, I Am Alive, and Mass Effect 2.

Read Article
Posted 10:00am on Sun 11 March 2012
munkee
In response to Topic

Read Article

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
This week I put a good half an hour into Motorstorm RC. Just enough to lay down a time on Sand Surfin that should hold me in good stead against the VG (not so fast) crew for a second week. /smug

I then put a few hours in on the SSX demo and have to say that I feel exactly the same as Tom Orry about it. Personally, I don't mind the graphics and think that the post-effects are a nice touch. But, the gameplay style is too frantic to feel that I ever get in my groove without being held by the hand (magnetic rails I'm looking at you!). For me the snowboarding game of this generation is Stoked: Big Air Edition. I imagine that most of you haven't played it. You should.

My main playtime this week has been split between two games:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss on the Vita. Its a nice adventure. It starts far too slowly and the cut scenes are a bit of a drain. But, when the adventure gets in its groove, it's a lot of fun and very pretty. The in game banter between characters really is a staple of the Uncharted series and doesn't fail to deliver during this adventure either.

I also decided to put Killzone 2 in the PS3 for a session. It's without a doubt my favourite shooter of this generation. It's in-your-face with its sounds and visuals. Then, topped off with heavy, solid gun play. Seriously can't get enough of this game!
Posted 11:37am on Sun 11 March 2012
BC_Animus
In response to Topic

Read Article

@munkee Blah I go back to that fight every once in a while, but I STILL couldn't finish Killzone 2 - stuck near the end in the palace in fight against Vasari or whoever the general dude is. My AI buddy keeps dying on me damnit. Wonder how far I am to the end. Normally I finish a game on normal first and then go for a higher setting on the 2nd playthrough, but I started this game on hard and I refused to lower it to normal, not after I've come this far...

Anyways I've been playing a lot of Star Trek Online on the PC and last couple of days, and a ton of Lumines on the Vita. STILL waiting for Hustle Kings and Wipeout 2048 to finish downloading. Also got the trial for Motorstorm RC in my queue too.

I must say too it's weird seeing Tom Orry actually playing games, and even giving praise to one. I somehow got the impression that he actually... well, hates games.
Posted 11:59am on Sun 11 March 2012
jeffyboy40
In response to Topic

Read Article

great to see KILLZONE 2 getting some loving and yes that end boss battle is a bitch! ive been playing I AM ALIVE and have to say its a very good game,however im worried the game is going to screw me at some point as your control inputs are so exacting,it has a very john carpenter feel to it and you never know whats around the corner.
Posted 12:15pm on Sun 11 March 2012
Clockpunk
In response to Topic

Read Article

Like 90% of my Friends list, Mass Effect 3 has seen the bulk of my attention this week. I really like the weapon mod system, and the increased amount of base weapons available. I disliked that switch from the first game, so nice to see it revised. And that all downloadable armours from ME2 are available in-game (including the Collector's Armour, no less!). No spoilers at all, but a truly excellent experience thus far. Hell, my partner - just from watching me play - decided to create her own character, and has stormed ahead of me!! Tongue Oh the perils of having a partner who likes the occasional game. Wink

Other than that, BurgerTime: HD which - immediately after my purchase - is half price this week on sale... :-/ Still, I don't begrudge, and can highly recommend others to try it out, for 400 msp. Fun platforming action with a twist (of pepper Tongue).

And Wido persuaded me to try out Dead Island which was in my backlog. Although skeptical of the weapon mod system - given my love of all things Dead Rising 2 and the OTT silliness in that series - I must admit it works pretty well. Open-world, first person, 'loot-style' weapon finding (which might appeal to some on here Wink), zombies that are pretty tough and require whacking over the head when knocked over... yep, shame I left it so long. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and is rather cheesy, but Deep Silver prove once again that they are a fantastic but oft-overlooked dev team.
Posted 5:15pm on Sun 11 March 2012
dazzadavie
In response to Topic

Read Article

I've been able to play a bit of Brink after turning off bobbling head in the options, so no more travel sickness for me. Must admit me and some friends where achievements.
I'm taking my time in Mass Effect making sure to explore the galaxy and complete most side missions before moving on. Currently on Noveria which is the first main story related mission I've done in some time.
I've been very lucky in winning a code for I Am Alive and finding it enjoyable but it seems like its missing something. Maybe like you say Neon not being able to loot the untouched cars is a little odd in a world where you want to check everything to survive. Also that part in which they come bursting thought he fence I though "oh they must have a gun or something" but they had nothing, and hiding out in a dead end ally way was very odd.
Posted 5:16pm on Sun 11 March 2012
dudester
In response to Topic

Read Article

Lots of killzone 3 multiplayer I forgot how much I actually enjoy this.

I have not been playing mass effect 3 as my copy hasn't arrived yet.

I also had to end a 26 year career in football manager as my save became corrupted and wouldn't load anymore Sad
Posted 5:48pm on Sun 11 March 2012
Wido
In response to Topic

Read Article

Mass Effect 3
Dead Island
Dirt 3
Street Fighter X Tekken
FIFA 12
I Am Alive

Need to get some game time on SFxT, but ME3 is going to be in the 360 more than the others.
Posted 6:04pm on Sun 11 March 2012
FantasyMeister
In response to Topic

Read Article

Star Ocean: First Departure and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite both got a chunk of gametime this week, MH:FU grabbed my OCD tendencies more and therefore ending up the most played on the PSP.

Oddly, both games make me want to revisit Monster Hunter on the PS2 and Star Ocean: The Last Hope on the 360; I haven't given into that crave yet but they're both sitting there on the shelf waving at me as I type, so maybe next week.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 and WRC2 both made their regular weekly reappearance although I'm absolutely bored them and both feel like work rather than play.

I've broken up the time inbetween by revisiting Torchlight on XBLA, randomly generated neverending dungeons, I just play it to see if I can ever reach the end of it anyway.
Posted 6:48pm on Sun 11 March 2012
EverTheOptimist
In response to Topic

Read Article

It's been a little MotorStorm: RC for me this week and a lot of Uncharted 2 which is becoming one of my favourite games of all time and it was worth buying the PS3 just for it. It's weird, it almost transcends itself and becomes something more than a game. The script and characters put most Hollywood blockbusters to shame.

I've got my GAME bargains sat on the table currently untouched (Singularity and Stranglehold) and Killzone 2 should be here any day. Good to hear munkee singing it's praises, I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like.
Show Topics In:
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
View Full Site