What We're Playing January 15, 2012

Show Topics In:
Posted 10:22am on Sun 15 January 2012
VG_Staff
What We're Playing January 15, 2012
This week the team plays PlayStation Vita, X-Com, and Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Read Article
Posted 10:22am on Sun 15 January 2012
munkee
In response to Topic
This week the team plays PlayStation Vita, X-Com, and Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Read Article

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
I borrowed LA Noire and subsequently felt incredibly disappointed and slightly annoyed. I really struggled to find the fun in the game. I understand why people enjoyed it. But, I found it to be a very shallow experience and felt that the gameplay mechanics were incredibly dated.

I'll ignore the shootouts and driving because there are merely fillers and the mechanics of both wouldn't hold up against your average driving/shooting game. LA Noire relies on its detective work and interrogation gameplay.

The detective work is a continual fetch quest. It doesn't really matter what you pick up. The game will tell you if its important, or not. Pick up X amount of objects, then progress to interrogation.

The interrogation plays out like a Monkey Island game. There was some logic in there, but it could easily be a case of "use Rubber Chicken with Cable". The seems to be no wrong way to finish a case. It can be completed as a trial and error process. This unfortunately seems to take the intelligence out of it.

The game has a very clever graphical technique. But, I personally found the underlying experience to let it down. Sure, this is a really negative look at the LA Noire. But, I just couldn't find the fun and found the whole experience to be transparent.
Posted 10:25am on Sun 15 January 2012
MJTH
In response to Topic

Read Article

I've been playing surprisingly alot of games by my standards this week. Recently I've been very busy but I managed to play quite a few, generally in fairly quick burst:

1)Terraria: I got this during a steam sale for £2.99, my first steam purchase, and it was so cheap! I've played this so much this week, and managed to unlock the "hard mode" after defecting the wall of flesh, and then I this and this and that and the other... You can go on about the story of this game so.

2)Minecraft: After my computer died before the holidays it to all my document and save files with it, now that it came back a couple weeks ago, I've made a new save file, which I really needed to do anyway to get alot of the stuff, but I was so attached to my old world that I couldn't be bothered. Anyway starting a fresh make the game feel new again, so its all good.

3)Super Mario 3D land: I've got to say playing this first hand, has change my ideas of 3D on the 3DS. It really help with jumping, it really does! It's change my mind from the 3D being a gimick, to something that hasn't been used to its full potential, and that with some work and more games like this it could become something more.

4)Mario Kart 7: I love mario kart DS, the best in the series in my opinion, I played it for so long. Mario kart Wii was a disapointment to me, not back, but disapointing. This game is much better then wii, if wasn't for the fairly poor roster, I'd say it was the best. The customisation is great but it need more pieces. Maybe DLC, but I might be asking to much.
Posted 11:35am on Sun 15 January 2012
reynoldio
In response to Topic

Read Article

Skyr..why am I even on the internet
Posted 11:46am on Sun 15 January 2012
FantasyMeister
In response to Topic

Read Article

Star Wars: The Old Republic and ... nothing else. This week I've mainly revatalised the entire game just by joining a Guild, the infamous Death Squad on Ludo Kresh. Not sure why the guild has this title because it's full of the nicest fluffy bunny type people in MMO-dom with a great mix of hardcore and casual which keeps the chat and activities varied and interesting.

I spent most of this week hunting more Datacrons, which once again made me wonder just how big the Galaxy really is. See a bunch of crates next to a wall? Jump on top of them and see where it leads!
Posted 12:41pm on Sun 15 January 2012
dudester
In response to Topic

Read Article

Emily do not the open the gate for Adam Sandler to do voice over in games you will regret it! Along with the rest of the world!

Old republic for me Smile

I did like 2 missions of dead island,
Posted 3:08pm on Sun 15 January 2012
pblive
In response to Topic

Read Article

Hand-gliding, Emily? We call that something else where I come from...
Posted 3:11pm on Sun 15 January 2012
pblive
In response to Topic

Read Article

Actually started Skyrim the other day. I can see why others find it so addictive (note the proper use of the word, not addicting. Grr). Aside from that, a little Saints Row and some Mario Kart 7 and the obvious pile of iOS games.
Posted 3:41pm on Sun 15 January 2012
jeffyboy40
In response to Topic

Read Article

playing MOTORSTORM APOCOLYPSE single player,my advice is stick with it coz its a real adreneline ride,even the cutscenes are entertaining and its amazing to see the ps3 can pull off the pyrotechniques on display.im also playing MASS EFFECT 2,and gears 3 multiplayer,cant beleive pearsons rank 98,he must play it all the time.
Posted 9:00pm on Sun 15 January 2012
thedanyrand
In response to Topic

Read Article

@Neon I had forgotten about X-Com until you mentioned it in the podcast to my question and now they are making a new one, good stuff
Show Topics In:
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
View Full Site