Where will gaming go in 2013?

Show Topics In:
Posted 3:47pm on Mon 24 December 2012
VG_Staff
Where will gaming go in 2013?
Time to look back on the year that was and ahead at the year to come.

Read Article
Posted 3:47pm on Mon 24 December 2012
reynoldio
In response to Topic

Read Article

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
Nice article, cheers Martin. I agree with everything except, personally, for your initial position. I thought 2012 was pretty good! Everything you've written still counts: there were disappointments; boxed games weren't frequently spectacular; downloads and F2P did some good stuff, just that my first thought is undoubtedly positive.

I enjoyed Borderlands 2 loads and had anticipated it greatly. Ditto ME3 at the start of the year. I've loved playing my Vita in the odd moment and even though there aren't exactly loads of great games, there is enough to keep a 32 year old new father busy. Journey was one of my greatest moments in gaming, ever. Might as well say 'ditto ME3' again. X-COM wasn't a game I vividly remember, for some reason it passed me by, but my word I enjoyed XCOM. Throw the brilliance I just knew I'd love like Football Manager 13 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted into the mix and you've got an excellent year.

Again, I agree, not that much that absolutely jumps off the page, but plenty of genuine entertainment. And I haven't played The Walking Dead yet.

Here's to 2013 being just as disappointing Wink
Posted 4:01pm on Mon 24 December 2012
rbevanx
    In response to Topic

Read Article

Yeah I pretty much agree about the year with let downs on AAA games like Assassin's Creed 3, Max Payne 3 and Dishoured (I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the spelling of it) for me. But arcade games is where it's been for me with my top 3 for the year all being arcade games.
    I did really like Spec Ops, Prototype 2 and Halo 4 with this years AAA games though, but yeah in general very poor year for them.

I think 2013 will actually be better with Dead Space 3 and the new Aliens game coming out early with The Last of Us and Beyond also looking promising.
    But in all honesty I think current gen is starting to get far too old and some new consoles are needed to expand on current franchises or try something very different.
    Posted 5:32pm on Mon 24 December 2012
    FantasyMeister
    In response to Topic

Read Article

I think next year will be interesting for three reasons:

Grand Theft Auto V.
    Whether or not OUYA can survive and all the ramifications for alternative funding models.
    E3 can only get better.

For me it'll be a year of catch up on the backlog, something I intended to do this year but failed miserably because I added more AAA titles to my collection than most previous years, including Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3 and Halo 4. Far Cry 3 alone has clocked up 196 hours on Raptr in just 25 days and I probably have 30 or 40 titles that warrant similar attention in my pile of things to do.
    Posted 5:47pm on Mon 24 December 2012
    Clockpunk
    In response to Topic

Read Article

As I mentioned in another thread, it is (surprisingly enough) smaller scale indie PC games that have my interest piqued for 2013 - War for the Overworld, Sir You Are Being Hunted, Starbound, Don't Starve, to name but a few - and the ongoing updates and additions to MineCraft.

Of course, GTA V will get a good look-in, but that is the only triple-A title currently grabbing my attention (like everyone else)
    Posted 12:17am on Tue 25 December 2012
    Chris78A
    In response to Topic

Read Article

2012 was dissapointing for me as it was the first time i'd really wished for the next gen to hurry up. Whether it was because shooting games have been done so much this gen, or that casual 'phone' games dont feel like proper video games, I dont know. Either way next year will be interesting to see if the video game market (digital and physical) starts to stall.
    Posted 7:36am on Tue 25 December 2012
    reynoldio
    In response to Chris78A's
    2012 was dissapointing for me as it was the first time i'd really wished for the next gen to hurry up. Whether it was because shooting games have been done so much this gen, or that casual 'phone' games dont feel like proper video games, I dont know. Either way next year will be interesting to see if the video game market (digital and physical) starts to stall.

» Go to Chris78A's original post
    What's a nex genn?

*MASTER RACE!* Smile
    Posted 10:10am on Tue 25 December 2012
    MJTH
    In response to Clockpunk's
    As I mentioned in another thread, it is (surprisingly enough) smaller scale indie PC games that have my interest piqued for 2013 - War for the Overworld, Sir You Are Being Hunted, Starbound, Don't Starve, to name but a few - and the ongoing updates and additions to MineCraft.

Of course, GTA V will get a good look-in, but that is the only triple-A title currently grabbing my attention (like everyone else)

» Go to Clockpunk's original post
    Agreed, I am looking forward to the many more indie games coming out next year then boxed retail games:

A hat in time, Dysis, Flightless, Maker's Tale, Purge, No Time to Explain (steam release), Mercenary Kings, Sealark, Strike Suit Zero, Rainfall: the Sojourn, Godus, Scroll Ninja, Starbound, Planetary Annihilation... Etc

That's to say I'll buy all of them, but I'm following their progress.

Of course there is Fire Emblem and Lego City to look forward to on the retail game space, but other then those two game I'm not sure what other boxed game I'll buy. Maybe Rayman legend or Luigi's Mansion. And probably PLvsAA.
    Posted 1:16pm on Sat 29 December 2012
    Londongirl1
    In response to Topic

Read Article

GTA V and Bioshock are top of my list!
    Posted 9:41pm on Sat 29 December 2012
    87Sarah
    In response to Topic

Read Article

Great article thanks Martin.

I've noticed that for me, the more open world the game is, the more I seem to enjoy it.
    Skyrim has taken up so much of my gaming time this year I think it's fair to say that it has overtaken FFVII as my favourite game in the world ever! It's sheer scale of the game and endless list of things to do that I look for in new titles. Spending £40 on a game that lasts 10 hours just isn't right.
    I'm not the type of person that will play through a game more than once, no matter how many times I enjoy it either.

This year I have been tempted a few times to dip into the genre of MMO's for the first time, and you are right, it scares the living daylights out of me.
    My attitude towards all online gaming is a little sketchy. I have had a lot of experiences where people find loopholes and ways they can cheat at online gaming so that it becomes an unenjoyable experience for a lot of people. that really puts me off, especially racing games. You also get the hardcore players in FPS that will annihilate everyone in their path, which is fine if you are any where near their level. I wish online FPS had difficulty levels so you could choose whether you wanted to have your ass handed to you or not. Mind you, people would take advantage of that too.

I haven't tried an MMO because I don't want to pay and find out I don't like it. I don't want to find out that I become terribly addicted and can think of nothing else. I want to still give myself some time to play new games and I don't want people handing my ass to me!

Maybe a massive open world Skyrim type game with a hint of MMO or social aspect thrown in would be my kind of thing.
    Show Topics In:
    Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
    View Full Site