Wii U continues to struggle: Only 300,000 sold in last three months

Show Topics In:
Posted 1:23pm on Wed 30 October 2013
VG_Staff
Wii U continues to struggle: Only 300,000 sold in last three months
That's double the units shifted in the three months prior.

Read News
Posted 1:23pm on Wed 30 October 2013
FantasyMeister
In response to Topic

Read News

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
Hate to say it but:

Become a 3rd party for Microsoft/Sony = Profit
It's working for SEGA and Nintendo still have a big chunk of the handheld market.

Nintendo's 1st party titles are some of the greatest games on the planet, but when they're only hitting 4m users when they could be hitting over 50m someone has to point it out.
Posted 2:00pm on Wed 30 October 2013
pblive
In response to Topic

Read News

I don't think it suits Nintendo's nature to be a third party developer/publisher though. They've always created their games off the back of their own hardware and they tend to compliment each other.

Better off to design a new console and do better market research if it comes to that, but Nintendo have never seemed too bothered about competing on a level playing field with other console companies, anyway.

No, it's a lack of good pr, getting certain games out early enough and getting more support early on that has been the issue for them.

Also the move from building a huge casual audience with the Wii that aren't the sort of people to go upgrading when a new console arrives. They aren't losing sales to Sony and MS in a way, just to their current audience.
Posted 2:08pm on Wed 30 October 2013
pblive
In response to Topic

Read News

Also, sales figures up to September would exclude Zelda, surely?
Posted 2:58pm on Wed 30 October 2013
MJTH
In response to pblive's
Also, sales figures up to September would exclude Zelda, surely?

» Go to pblive's original post
Yeah you are right, Zelda was an october game so it wouldn't count towards this surely. Then there is the fact that this figure doesn't Wii U had a sizable sales boost after wind waker HD.

Nintendo aren't in a position where they need to do a SEGA just yet. This news story sadly forget to mention that the 3DS sold nearly 4 million units in this quarter, with 27 million software sales this quarter.
Posted 7:33pm on Wed 30 October 2013
b23cdq
In response to FantasyMeister's
Hate to say it but:

Become a 3rd party for Microsoft/Sony = Profit
It's working for SEGA and Nintendo still have a big chunk of the handheld market.

Nintendo's 1st party titles are some of the greatest games on the planet, but when they're only hitting 4m users when they could be hitting over 50m someone has to point it out.

» Go to FantasyMeister's original post
The day Nintendo goes third party is the day I quit gaming.

Everyone saying Ninty should go third party seem to forget the piles of cash they have, and the money printer that is the 3DS.
Posted 7:34pm on Wed 30 October 2013
b23cdq
In response to Topic

Read News

Also, with little to no advertising, this is quite impressive.
Posted 8:07pm on Wed 30 October 2013
FantasyMeister
In response to b23cdq's
The day Nintendo goes third party is the day I quit gaming.

Everyone saying Ninty should go third party seem to forget the piles of cash they have, and the money printer that is the 3DS.

» Go to b23cdq's original post
I was taking their cashpile into account. The alternative is to bring out a next gen console to match the One/PS4 so that 3rd parties get drawn to it, but the R&D costs alone would probably upset shareholders.

Way I see it if they continue to push the Wii U they're just throwing more good money after bad just so that they can say they have a home console. It's just bad business, albeit like you say, the handheld market generates so much income for Nintendo that they probably don't worry about it.
Posted 2:16pm on Thu 31 October 2013
Endless
In response to FantasyMeister's
I was taking their cashpile into account. The alternative is to bring out a next gen console to match the One/PS4 so that 3rd parties get drawn to it, but the R&D costs alone would probably upset shareholders.

Way I see it if they continue to push the Wii U they're just throwing more good money after bad just so that they can say they have a home console. It's just bad business, albeit like you say, the handheld market generates so much income for Nintendo that they probably don't worry about it.

» Go to FantasyMeister's original post
Shouldn't be too difficult to double memory and speed on everything surely? Ensure heat is dissipated correctly, maybe make the case a bit bigger to compensate. Done.
Posted 4:33pm on Thu 31 October 2013
CANCEROUS
In response to Topic

Read News

reading this article it was a daunting that they haven't really seen any major improvement in sales. However I don' think these figures take into account sales of Wind wake.. I am sure they will have a much better holiday season. I wouldn't want to see Nintendo go 3rd Party (not that this will happen) but if it did i don't think it would be the same... Also i am sure that one of the best better strategies would be just re name the console just remove the Wii Moniker and as daft as it sound just call it the Nintendo U - Ultra??!! This way new consumers surely will see that this is a new console from Nintendo with a new play control and style... also they seriously need to advertise the shizzle out of it... is it me but when you do see a Wii U advert it sound very much like the wii advert with the little jingle at the beginning... Thoughts please??
Show Topics In:
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
View Full Site