Wonderful 101 was originally going to feature 'a cast of all-star Nintendo characters'

Show Topics In:
Posted 2:53pm on Wed 21 August 2013
VG_Staff
Wonderful 101 was originally going to feature 'a cast of all-star Nintendo characters'
And other recognisable faces too...

Read News
Posted 2:53pm on Wed 21 August 2013
Endless
In response to Topic
And other recognisable faces too...

Read News

» Go to VG_Staff's original post
*facepalm*

So let me get this straight: They had the go-ahead to use as many 1st party Nintendo characters as they could to make a NEW game ip and CHOSE NOT TO!?!

What is WRONG with them!? Imagine if this was a Nintendo game released about now for the Wii U how much of a boost would that be!?
Posted 3:59pm on Wed 21 August 2013
MJTH
In response to Endless's
*facepalm*

So let me get this straight: They had the go-ahead to use as many 1st party Nintendo characters as they could to make a NEW game ip and CHOSE NOT TO!?!

What is WRONG with them!? Imagine if this was a Nintendo game released about now for the Wii U how much of a boost would that be!?

» Go to Endless's original post
Personally, I'm glad they didn't. There is only so far you can go when it comes to games made for fan service. You're limited to themes present in the franchises the characters came from. And if you try and stray away from those iconic themes, anything original gets completely undermined by the popularity of the themes your taking.

Part of the reason why I am enjoying what I see from Wonder 101, is because how unique it feels, in terms of the themes it draws from and uses.

Beside, in the games industry, companies can only really get away with one All-stars-line-up-fan-service-y type game without seeming like you are running out of idea. Nintendo has Super Smash Bros, SEGA has All-Stars Racing, Capcom has it's Versus series.

I agree that potentially the game could sell better, and would be easier to market to people by using Nintendo characters, but that doesn't mean it would be a better game.
Show Topics In:
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
View Full Site