Far cry 3 on 8800 Ultra

Show Topics In:
Posted 3:42pm on Tue 19 February 2013
bjarke15
Far cry 3 on 8800 Ultra
Lets start at the beginning.
At christmas i got Far Cry 3 which i was very happy about.
I got home installed it and began playing it.
I noticed a bit of lag (20-30 fps) and ran Nvidia Inspector.
It said that when i played my grafics card was used 96-98% and the temperature was about 100-105 degrees celcius.

Now i got better cooling in my pc so the temperature is only 90 degrees celcius (even though im considering buying a special cooler for the GPU only) but its still used 96-98%.

Today i saw the requirements and saw that my grafics card is in all specs better or equal (exept the memory amount which is not over 1 gb on both cards) to the card GTX 260 recommended for Hi-Performance.

When im playing i notice my Intel E8400 (Core 2 duo 3 GHz which im gonna overclock to 4GHz when i get a better cooler for it) is struggling a bit and is also getting used 95-99%

My RAM is fine when playing
I have turned off DOF and Motion blur.

So the question for you guys is: (<-Dunno if this is right in grammar)
Why is my Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra used 96-98% when playing Far Cry 3 while (i'd say) it looks like its better than a Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 which is recommended for Hi-Performance?
Posted 5:14pm on Tue 19 February 2013
thompo555
In response to Topic
It said that when i played my grafics card was used 96-98% and the temperature was about 100-105 degrees celcius.

Now i got better cooling in my pc so the temperature is only 90 degrees celcius (even though im considering buying a special cooler for the GPU only) but its still used 96-98%.

Today i saw the requirements and saw that my grafics card is in all specs better or equal (exept the memory amount which is not over 1 gb on both cards) to the card GTX 260 recommended for Hi-Performance.

When im playing i notice my Intel E8400 (Core 2 duo 3 GHz which im gonna overclock to 4GHz when i get a better cooler for it) is struggling a bit and is also getting used 95-99%

Why is my Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra used 96-98% when playing Far Cry 3 while (i'd say) it looks like its better than a Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 which is recommended for Hi-Performance?

» Go to bjarke15's original post
Simply put, your 8800 is not as good as the 260. Even the 260 wont play FC3 with a decent frame rate on totally full settings. Also your CPU is on the lower side of the Specs.

http://www.hwcompare.com/1813/geforc...force-gtx-260/

As you can see the 260 is 20% better, and that will boost you to around 30-40 FPS. Obviously these are the minimum requirements for 'max' settings. Not the requirements for 'slider all the way to the right'.

What are your exact system specs? I'd suggest just turning it down in the options, you'll probably not get max settings with a good frame rate without upgrading parts. As for the temps, they're to be expected with the card needing to work so hard on the game.
Posted 6:54pm on Tue 19 February 2013
bjarke15
In response to thompo555's
Simply put, your 8800 is not as good as the 260. Even the 260 wont play FC3 with a decent frame rate on totally full settings. Also your CPU is on the lower side of the Specs.

http://www.hwcompare.com/1813/geforc...force-gtx-260/

As you can see the 260 is 20% better, and that will boost you to around 30-40 FPS. Obviously these are the minimum requirements for 'max' settings. Not the requirements for 'slider all the way to the right'.

What are your exact system specs? I'd suggest just turning it down in the options, you'll probably not get max settings with a good frame rate without upgrading parts. As for the temps, they're to be expected with the card needing to work so hard on the game.

» Go to thompo555's original post
PC specs

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P (i know its old Smile )
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: 3GB (Normally 4)
PSU: Corsair Vx550W

I already run Far Cry 3 on lowest settings but cant get more than 20-30 fps.

I can easily run other games on max settings with 60+ fps

Just today i installed the newest drivers but no gain in that.
Maybe my card is'nt optimized for Far Cry 3?
Posted 4:59am on Wed 20 February 2013
thompo555
In response to bjarke15's
PC specs

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P (i know its old Smile )
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: 3GB (Normally 4)
PSU: Corsair Vx550W

I already run Far Cry 3 on lowest settings but cant get more than 20-30 fps.

I can easily run other games on max settings with 60+ fps

Just today i installed the newest drivers but no gain in that.
Maybe my card is'nt optimized for Far Cry 3?

Oh, I thought you were getting that on max? In that case, yes I agree.. you should be getting a tad higher frame rate, though I'm going to make the assumption that your 2core processor cant handle the open world.

I'm by no means any expert but I'd say it's definitely more of a CPU bottleneck. Personally if you can afford it I would get a new Mobo/CPU and go to Quad at 3.6ghz ish. Shouldn't cost you over £200 max (especially if you go AMD). Depends on your preferences really.

Unless you feel an upgrade is necessary, I wouldn't suggest it just for FC3. It's always nice to future proof a little, however.

EDIT:
Just seen this, may be of some use!
Posted 11:27am on Wed 20 February 2013
clangod
In response to Topic

Sound advice thompo. It doesn't help that Far Cry 3 is a terribly optimised game anyway. Even with patches and driver updates.
Posted 11:30am on Wed 20 February 2013
thompo555
In response to clangod's
Sound advice thompo. It doesn't help that Far Cry 3 is a terribly optimised game anyway. Even with patches and driver updates.

» Go to clangod's original post
That is true.. Have you seen the graphics on PS3? My eyes nearly bled compared to the PC version.. Wow! Such a difference!
Posted 12:29pm on Wed 20 February 2013
clangod
In response to Topic

No. I played it about halfway through on 360 after my PC died. It was hard to stomach after playing an hour or two on PC. So I waited and only just this afternoon finished it off (story + random side thingy's) on my new build.

I feel kinda silly saying it, but it really does make a difference. And a considerable one at that. Not to mention input performance is drastically improved. A much quicker and more enjoyable game. For me, very important.

I wouldn't like to have to try and run it on a questionable setup though. I'm lucky enough to be playing on constant 60fps with all but a few sliders maxed out and after exploring the different graphics tweaks. It's a very different game.

My eyes almost bled from just how defined the PC version was Smile I enjoy fire a bit too much as a result too.
Posted 1:55pm on Wed 20 February 2013
thompo555
In response to clangod's
No. I played it about halfway through on 360 after my PC died. It was hard to stomach after playing an hour or two on PC. So I waited and only just this afternoon finished it off (story + random side thingy's) on my new build.

I feel kinda silly saying it, but it really does make a difference. And a considerable one at that. Not to mention input performance is drastically improved. A much quicker and more enjoyable game. For me, very important.

I wouldn't like to have to try and run it on a questionable setup though. I'm lucky enough to be playing on constant 60fps with all but a few sliders maxed out and after exploring the different graphics tweaks. It's a very different game.

My eyes almost bled from just how defined the PC version was Smile I enjoy fire a bit too much as a result too.

» Go to clangod's original post
Fire is the only reason I have a Zippo! :P

I agree, it is a very different game. The framerate/graphics on a good PC make it so much more playable! I'd even go as far as saying that I'd score the console version less because of it.

Maybe I'm just a PC convertee Tongue
Posted 8:10pm on Wed 20 February 2013
bjarke15
In response to Topic

Peanuts!
Posted 7:31am on Thu 21 February 2013
clangod
Salted? Yes please!

I suppose you've tried Direct X compatibility and read up on exactly what half those graphics options actually do?

For example, my game was stuttering almost constantly for a while. The only thing I changed was the ambient occlusion to HBAO and viola. No more stutter.

Your hardware already struggling will make maxing out the game an impossible task.

At least if an upgrade is on the cards you can buy components that will easily have you covered for a few years to come. Without forking out huge amounts on the latest tech.

Anyways, for arguments sake I will include a link which may be useful. I cannot verify if any of the tweaks etc actually work, as I have not had to venture that far. There is some interesting stuff in there though.

http://www.gamefront.com/far-cry-3-pc-tweak-guide/
Show Topics In:
Quick Reply

Login or register to reply to this topic

Create a new account or login to take part in this topic discussion.
View Full Site